That's right.
Nighttime Beach Run!!
Doesn't that sound like so much fun?
Well - it was!

Rob and I left Taylor Rose with her grandparents and high-tailed it to Galveston for a quick 24-hour getaway! It was our first chance to run any sort of organized event together! The run was supposed to start at 9pm... so we showed up around 7:30pm to get in line and pick up our packets.

At 9pm we were STILL waiting in line... but we were in good spirits - enjoying each other and bonding over the petty things people stuck in long lines talk about.


By 9:30pm, it was on.
We ran the 5k.
In the sand.
Headlamps required.


On the drive to Galveston I had to get my expectations in order.

We decided that for this first run we would stay together... even though you never really know which one of us is going to be the stronger runner that day. This was good for me and took the pressure off my trying to run too hard to keep up or wonder whether I should slow down and wait for my better half. Something about that has got to be a good lesson for marriage... or perhaps an analogy for our relationships with God...

Anyway, I was super impressed with Rob hurdling a rogue sandcastle while running without his glasses! After I saw that maneuver I started to call out "hole!" each time there was an obstacle... just in case he didn't see it. Gotta take care of my man!

At the finish line we were met with BBQ, beer, and a bonfire! Overall we finished 149th and 150th out of over 1000 runners/walkers. Not to shabby for two crazy 30 year olds trying to stay in shape.


This was our last summer weekend, the end of an era...
Taylor heads back to Mimi's, Rob heads back to school, and I'm officially full-time at the office as of this week.

While I was at work today I got an email saying that it was official... I'm signed up for the Sugar Land half marathon in January. Thanks Rob... (I guess there's no turning back now... we've already been billed!!)



This entry was posted on 8:22 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Katie said...

    Erin, I'm so inspired by you! I was running, but the summer heat got the better of me. Looks like you and Rob had a good evening away together! Miss you!!!

  1. ... on August 17, 2010 at 6:42 AM